Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sandman Mars Lander (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18331)

snuggles 02-24-2020 01:33 PM

Sandman Mars Lander

Hi, been a LONG time since I've posted anything here.
Back in 2006 Gordon Agnello(Sandman) did a build thread on SEMROC's Mars Lander kit.
He used pen springs for suspension on the Lander. I am currently working on a Kosrox Mars Lander and I want to do the same thing. There were pictures posted of his build and I cannot seem to find them. Specifically looking for the spring attach points.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mark T

ghrocketman 02-24-2020 04:21 PM

I think that build thread may have been over on TRF.

jeffyjeep 02-24-2020 07:26 PM

I don't know about the thread using springs, but I did a thread on YORF building a Mars Lander with accessible and serviceable landing gear.

sandman 02-24-2020 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW! that was a very long time ago!

Apparently someone, I can't remember who it was, liked it so much he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I sold it to him.

I sort of remember it.

It used ball point pen springs that were compressed to absorb the shock of landing.

The springs were slipped over 1/8" wood dowels. I tried to redraw it so you kinda get the idea.

The spring is curved into place.

tbzep 02-25-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I don't know about the thread using springs, but I did a thread on YORF building a Mars Lander with accessible and serviceable landing gear.

I also did a thread with removable bulkhead and serviceable landing gear. I wasn't the first, so if I copied anything from you, I hope I gave credit.

Here's a link to it. I don't know if the pics are still there or not. Everything is blocked here at work. I did go into detail later in the thread on how I set up the suspension.
https://oldrocketforum.com/showthre...ght=mars+lander

LeeR 02-25-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I also did a thread with removable bulkhead and serviceable landing gear. I wasn't the first, so if I copied anything from you, I hope I gave credit.

[…]

I cannot believe this was from 2008!

I did the same mod to mine when I built my Semroc model, after seeing your post. I opened it up maybe a little over a year ago. Mine had a really hard, angled landing, and busted one leg near the tubing hinge. I removed it, fixed it, and got it put back together. You would never know it had happened. I did replace the rubber band, but it didn’t seem too bad, after about 10 years from when the kit was built.

tbzep 02-25-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I cannot believe this was from 2008!

I did the same mod to mine when I built my Semroc model, after seeing your post. I opened it up maybe a little over a year ago. Mine had a really hard, angled landing, and busted one leg near the tubing hinge. I removed it, fixed it, and got it put back together. You would never know it had happened. I did replace the rubber band, but it didn’t seem too bad, after about 10 years from when the kit was built.

Yes, that's been a while. It was during my and Kody's intense building phase. We churned out a bunch of rockets during that time. I'd like to think it paid off. His job in college included working with STEM kids in rocketry, and now he's an engineer at Lockheed.

Your repair is proof of concept! I only thought about replacing rubber bands, but if you could do repairs in that small access, you've got skills!

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-25-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Here's a link to it. I don't know if the pics are still there or not. Everything is blocked here at work. I did go into detail later in the thread on how I set up the suspension.
https://oldrocketforum.com/showthre...ght=mars+lander

Wow, that thread references Red Arrow. It IS old. :rolleyes:

Flash 02-25-2020 01:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
KosRox Mars Lander Kit pics

LeeR 02-25-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's been a while. It was during my and Kody's intense building phase. We churned out a bunch of rockets during that time. I'd like to think it paid off. His job in college included working with STEM kids in rocketry, and now he's an engineer at Lockheed.

Your repair is proof of concept! I only thought about replacing rubber bands, but if you could do repairs in that small access, you've got skills!

You’ve got to be incredibly proud of your son. I’m sure all that rocket building had a huge influence on his career path.

Regarding my repairs, I could not have done it without my Harbor Freight forceps and 6-piece tweezer set! :p