Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CMR Sting Ray (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19032)

SEL 11-22-2020 10:47 PM

CMR Sting Ray

3 Attachment(s)
Just about finished this one up this evening, just need to add a launch lug.
Gave it a test toss across the living room for a nice, flat glide into the wall.

Earl 11-23-2020 06:27 AM

That seems to have a unique pod design, what with an extended “boom” on the pod itself. Do you know what the intention of that design was? I bought a decent amount of CMR parts back in the day, but never bought any of their kits then. I have picked up a Robin egglofter over the years though and I think maybe I have this boost glider, too.

Have the plans for this one been posted here anywhere do you know?

Earl

BARGeezer 11-23-2020 07:35 AM

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/cmr/cmrBG2/cmrBG2.htm

shockwaveriderz 11-23-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Gave it a test toss across the living room for a nice, flat glide into the wall.

Absolutely Beautiful !

Please try and take some pics at launch and flight if possible.... an oldie but goldie

I think the CMR Manta, Stingray and Buzzard were 3 of the most innovative gliders ever designed... Howard Kuhn never got as much credit as he deserved for his innovative designs back then.

Just for future reference the Manta came out 1st, then the Stingray and then the Buzzard...the Buzzard made it's debut at NARAM-13.....and I was there!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

shockwaveriderz 11-23-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
That seems to have a unique pod design, what with an extended “boom” on the pod itself. Do you know what the intention of that design was? I bought a decent amount of CMR parts back in the day, but never bought any of their kits then. I have picked up a Robin egglofter over the years though and I think maybe I have this boost glider, too.

Have the plans for this one been posted here anywhere do you know?

Earl

The extended boom was for the purpose of holding down the elevons during boost... there's a wire on the tail of that boom .

great idea.

TD

snaquin 11-23-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

Very nice build Sean! Looks great. Somewhere around here I have a picture I took while in high school around 1979 where my friend Keith flew a CMR Manta.

Brings back great memories of those old unique CMR gliders :D

SEL 11-23-2020 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Absolutely Beautiful !

Thanks!

Quote:
Please try and take some pics at launch and flight if possible.... an oldie but goldie

Absolutely -

Quote:
I think the CMR Manta, Stingray and Buzzard were 3 of the most innovative gliders ever designed... Howard Kuhn never got as much credit as he deserved for his innovative designs back then.

Agree completely re The Colonel and his designs. I've lost 2 original 'Manta's - 1 to a tree, 1 to a shred (used a B6-2 instead of a B4-2. It might have survived except on the previous flight the shock cord sliced into one of the wings. 1/2 second into the flight, we heard an increasingly loud 'fwapping' sound and then balsa confetti.)
Got 3 or 4 good flights out of my 'Buzzard': nice fast glides with that one. not sure what happened to it. That's my tracing of the balsa parts on YORP.

The 'stingray' I've had in my build pile since '87 -'88. Pulled it out of the CMR collection last month only to find the pre-cut wings were missing. And the wire. And the balsa for the fuselage and boom were too short (!?) - does balsa shrink lengthwise with age? And somewhere between starting the build and needing to attach it, I lost the rudder. So, the only original parts are the nose cone and the phenolic BT.

Quote:
Just for future reference the Manta came out 1st, then the Stingray and then the Buzzard...the Buzzard made it's debut at NARAM-13.....and I was there!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I believe it!
There's a 'Buzzard' out on eBay - been there for awhile at $49.00, so I made him an offer, which he refused, so I'll build one from scratch.

SEL 11-24-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Very nice build Sean! Looks great. Somewhere around here I have a picture I took while in high school around 1979 where my friend Keith flew a CMR Manta.

Brings back great memories of those old unique CMR gliders :D

Thanks Steve . I do have a soft spot for all of the CMR kits, but especially the gliders. This was a fun build - looking forward to flying it. Love to see the pic if you can find it.

snaquin 11-30-2020 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Thanks Steve . I do have a soft spot for all of the CMR kits, but especially the gliders. This was a fun build - looking forward to flying it. Love to see the pic if you can find it.
A really bad picture of my buddy Keith’s CMR Manta flown on 7-12-1978. The pop pod and rudders were purple, the body was orange and the center wing and wing tips were green. Colorful no doubt :rolleyes: I do remember it flew great not sure what engine he used that flight I only have the launch date recorded. It does have a pretty nice little flame coming out of it but most of these old Polaroid pictures are pretty hopeless...

We were using the battery in my 1970 Nova for juice at the pad. I was in the process of priming some spots and it actually looked a lot better after I painted it. ;)

shockwaveriderz 12-01-2020 10:34 AM

[There's a 'Buzzard' out on eBay - been there for awhile at $49.00, so I made him an offer, which he refused, so I'll build one from scratch.[/QUOTE]

I just snagged it. Kinda pricey but you only live once......:-)