Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WANTED: Scans of Estes Mean Machine (1295) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16468)

K'Tesh 02-08-2017 06:08 AM

WANTED: Scans of Estes Mean Machine (1295)

1 Attachment(s)
JimZ's got the instructions for the version that was in circulation around 1995, and I've located the instructions for the version that was re-released in 2007 (the E powered version with the twist lock coupler).

What I'm looking for:
Scans of the version that was in circulation in 1985... Instructions, fins, and decals. I could also use the length of the shock cord (if it's not in the instructions). Note: the decals were white.

A fresh scan of the decals from the blue decaled version (as seen in the 1995 catalog). I can't figure out the dimensions of the decals from JimZ, and there's no scale for the image, it's also been altered, and I want to be sure of the shade of blue.

The version from 2007 I've got all I need for that.

Thanks!
Jim

Joe Shockcord 02-08-2017 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Might this one work? The bag's already open.

K'Tesh 02-08-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
Might this one work? The bag's already open.

Yes!

That's the white decaled version apparently from 1978 (the year it was introduced in the catalog). I could use scans on the instructions, fins, and decals. If you could include a ruler with the flat parts (1/16" spacing and/or 1 mm) that would be most helpful.

If you're in a really generous mood, a scan of the face card would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

K'Tesh 02-08-2017 07:58 PM

A quick trip to Ninfinger's site, and a run through my .pdf versions of the Estes Catalogs, and I've found out the following.

The Mean Machine was introduced in 1978, with white decals, and continued in that livery until 1992. There's a very good chance that the face card evolved over time. However, I'd doubt that there were many changes, if any, to the kit overall.

In 1993, the decals changed to blue, but apparently the engine hook didn't change to the version with the finger tab that year (the year it was introduced according to mwtoelle), as evidenced by the instructions found on JimZ's site. It would appear to have continued in some form of production until 2004 (there's gaps in the catalogs, but likely was still in production).

It was reintroduced in 2007 as the yellow decaled, "E" powered kit, with the quick link coupler, and apparently remained in production until 2013 (again there are gaps in the catalogs, but not likely in production).

Joe Shockcord 02-08-2017 09:07 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Hokay, here we go:

The parts were scanned on an Epson V600 and I used stainless rules. Unfortunately, the vertical ruler didn't come out well in the scans. Also, my scanner is only 9 x 12 so I had to split the decal and face card. The decal in this kit is blue with white Estes logo, but it could have been switched out as I received this kit with an open bag. Enjoy!

Oh, and the rubber shock cord (which is still like new) is exactly 21 5/16" long.

K'Tesh 02-08-2017 10:17 PM

Thanks Joe

Those scans are really helpful!

All The Best!

K'Tesh 02-09-2017 12:33 AM

Ok... Still have a question about the decals... I've yet to figure out the answer to this...

Can someone measure theirs? From that I can scale my image and finish the sim for the blue version. BTW, the color was obtained by a sample taken from Joe's scan. R 13, G 29, B 114.

Nukie310 11-01-2019 03:45 PM

CAn someone help me with the decal scans of the yellow design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
JimZ's got the instructions for the version that was in circulation around 1995, and I've located the instructions for the version that was re-released in 2007 (the E powered version with the twist lock coupler).

What I'm looking for:
Scans of the version that was in circulation in 1985... Instructions, fins, and decals. I could also use the length of the shock cord (if it's not in the instructions). Note: the decals were white.

A fresh scan of the decals from the blue decaled version (as seen in the 1995 catalog). I can't figure out the dimensions of the decals from JimZ, and there's no scale for the image, it's also been altered, and I want to be sure of the shade of blue.

The version from 2007 I've got all I need for that.

Thanks!
Jim

Hi, I am new to this group.
I have been making rockets recently after a 40 year break. One thing I really like to do is make the classic designs from scratch using the designers kit, plus other parts needed.

The mean machine is on my list, but I can't find good scans of the yellow decals. My daughter has a CriCut so we can make them if I had good scans.

Also, I have the Open Rocket and downloaded the .ORK, but When I tried to export the decal, It wasn't the entire decal.

Can someone help me with this?

Russ (nukie310)
Thanks in advance