Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Modeling a Terrier Malemute (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18134)

aeppel_cpm 10-22-2019 12:40 PM

Modeling a Terrier Malemute

I've been thinking of doing a Terrier Malemute for my next sounding rocket. Partly because the Malemute, with the 3:1 ogive nosecone reminds me of a PSII Leviathan (which I have parts for) and partly because I want to name it 'Double Dog Dare'.

Massless Dave (particles with rest mass can't go the speed of light, so EZ2C becomes massless)
has posted lots of great Terrier material, both here and on the Forum That Shall Not Be Named. I think YORF has more scale people, so I'm forking the Ute thread so MarkB can get back to posting Tomahawk variant pictures. Which I'm looking forward to.

I've spent some time holding a micrometer against the computer screen and taking measurements.

Here's the problem I've run into. Terriers, like Nikes, seem to have flown with a number of different fins. And it looks like even with Nike fins sometimes.

Peter Always' drawing of the Terrier Malemute show it in a configuration that seems to appear just once - the first flight. He shows the 3:1 ogive (when seems to get some use, based on other photos). A payload section about 2.5 calibers long - which is the shortest pictured. Other Terrier Malemute and Terrier Improved Malemute (motor 2" longer and improved attachment to the interstage) show payloads 6-8 calibers long. No biggee if I want to model model more than one - just more body tube.

Peter's drawing shows the double wedge profile with a root : tip cord ratio of 3.8, a span of 22.1 inches and a root chord of 24.5 inches. That's clearly the same fins on the RIM-2F and he has the same measurements in the Homing Terrier Refit RIM-2F drawing.
Dave has posted another Terrier fin drawing with a diamond profile, root:tip ratio of 2.5, root chord of 33.5", span of 22 inches. With matching photos. I believe it to be the RIM-2C/BT-3 version.
Going through photos of the Terrier Malemute, I'm measuring root:tip ratios of 2.13. multiple photos with different payloads. And a root:span ratio of 1.2 - measurably different than the 1.1 of the 2F, or the 1.5 of the 2C.

So what the heck fin is it? And how's a modeler to choose?

And thank you for the photos, Dave. Even of I end up redoing my CAD model before I print it, the photos have some nice bolt niche and panel details that the drawings don't.

(also @PeterAlway - thanks for many fine drawings)

Edit: The Malemute development paper shows the short payload and the Terrier 'F' style fins.

(This did get posted over on TORF because YORF blacked out in the middle of typing this.)

I've since found that the Nike Orion fins seems to be a good fit, root:tip, though I'm still working on the span.

Ez2cDave 10-22-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I've been thinking of doing a Terrier Malemute for my next sounding rocket. Partly because the Malemute, with the 3:1 ogive nosecone reminds me of a PSII Leviathan (which I have parts for) and partly because I want to name it 'Double Dog Dare'.

Massless Dave (particles with rest mass can't go the speed of light, so EZ2C becomes massless)
has posted lots of great Terrier material, both here and on the Forum That Shall Not Be Named. I think YORF has more scale people, so I'm forking the Ute thread so MarkB can get back to posting Tomahawk variant pictures. Which I'm looking forward to.

I've spent some time holding a micrometer against the computer screen and taking measurements.

Here's the problem I've run into. Terriers, like Nikes, seem to have flown with a number of different fins. And it looks like even with Nike fins sometimes.

Peter Always' drawing of the Terrier Malemute show it in a configuration that seems to appear just once - the first flight. He shows the 3:1 ogive (when seems to get some use, based on other photos). A payload section about 2.5 calibers long - which is the shortest pictured. Other Terrier Malemute and Terrier Improved Malemute (motor 2" longer and improved attachment to the interstage) show payloads 6-8 calibers long. No biggee if I want to model model more than one - just more body tube.

Peter's drawing shows the double wedge profile with a root : tip cord ratio of 3.8, a span of 22.1 inches and a root chord of 24.5 inches. That's clearly the same fins on the RIM-2F and he has the same measurements in the Homing Terrier Refit RIM-2F drawing.
Dave has posted another Terrier fin drawing with a diamond profile, root:tip ratio of 2.5, root chord of 33.5", span of 22 inches. With matching photos. I believe it to be the RIM-2C/BT-3 version.
Going through photos of the Terrier Malemute, I'm measuring root:tip ratios of 2.13. multiple photos with different payloads. And a root:span ratio of 1.2 - measurably different than the 1.1 of the 2F, or the 1.5 of the 2C.

So what the heck fin is it? And how's a modeler to choose?

And thank you for the photos, Dave. Even of I end up redoing my CAD model before I print it, the photos have some nice bolt niche and panel details that the drawings don't.

(also @PeterAlway - thanks for many fine drawings)

Edit: The Malemute development paper shows the short payload and the Terrier 'F' style fins.

(This did get posted over on TORF because YORF blacked out in the middle of typing this.)

I've since found that the Nike Orion fins seems to be a good fit, root:tip, though I'm still working on the span.

Charles,

Something to note . . .

It appears that there is a LOT of "interchangeability" among the Malamute, Oriole, Lynx, and Orion.

Dave F.

aeppel_cpm 10-22-2019 06:59 PM

There does seem to be a lot of tradin' o' the parts among the boosters.

aeppel_cpm 08-30-2020 07:33 PM

And flying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcYzY9K4iE

Ez2cDave 08-30-2020 08:27 PM

Now, THAT is what I am TALKING about . . . GREAT FLIGHT, Charles !

Dave F.

tbzep 08-31-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm

That's a beauty of a flight

Gus 09-01-2020 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, this is what a real Terrier fin looks like. :)

I get the funniest stuff in the mail.

The dog's name, obviously, is "Gus."

tbzep 09-01-2020 10:53 AM

He looks like a Gus. :cool:

aeppel_cpm 09-01-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
By the way, this is what a real Terrier fin looks like. :)

I get the funniest stuff in the mail.

The dog's name, obviously, is "Gus."

Nifty. That looks like the lower square foot version.

And a nice looking pup, too.

Ez2cDave 09-01-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
By the way, this is what a real Terrier fin looks like.

Where in the world did you ever find that fin ?

Dave F.