View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 10:12 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Did You Ever Win A Rocket Manufacturer Contest?

Many of us no doubt remember the various contests once sponsored by Estes, Centuri, and other rocketry manufactures way back when. Some of the ones that most readily come to mind are the rocket design contests, cartoon contests, photo contests, and any number of ‘one off’ contests where you had to name old vintage kits or aircraft, the name of a sci-fi film character, etc.

I entered a couple of the Centuri one-off contests (a vintage aircraft naming contest and a vintage kit naming contest), but, alas, I never won anything. I guess the closest I ever came to ‘winning’ anything relative to the major rocket manufacturers was being selected in latter 1978 to a catalog ‘highlight’ spot on the Centuri Aerospace Team (CAT) member page. But, that really was not a ‘contest’ per se and does not count in regards to what I am asking in this post.

In later years as an adult, I traveled all over the country for a number of years doing my LDRS high power rocketry video series and met many, many wonderful people. Some of those names I recognized from old Centuri, Estes, and NAR publications. And in the past 15 years or so as I have obtained more and more vintage literature from other manufacturers besides Centuri (I had a great amount of Centuri literature from my first pass in rocketry throughout the 70s), I recognized more and more names listed in those publications as winners of the various contests sponsored by the companies. Back in the day as I kid, I never thought I’d meet ANY of those people, but one never knows, especially at a young age, just what all will transpire in later years.

So...if you were a winner of ANY of those contests back in the day, please, if you are so inclined, share your memories of the contest, what you entered, and what you won as a result of your efforts. It is always interesting to me to read about other’s efforts back in the day and whatever ‘claim to fame’ they might have had!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970