View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Rocket Powered Preacher

Default To All Following JAL3's Sales:

I'm not sure how long it has been since I have been on site. It seems like years but I think it's only a week or so. For a little bit longer, I only checked posts but was not able to take care of anything.

I have just completed the most grueling series of shifts I have ever done at the hospital or anywhere else. Because of a combination of a few colleagues having gone on vacation and a few others having fallen sick, I found myself scheduled, rescheduled and held over again, often sleeping in a chair at one of the hospitals. At my age, this was tiring but not the real problem.

What I had real trouble with was what I was doing. The number of deaths I have had to handle in the last few weeks has been obscene. The conditions of some of those deaths was even more so. All of this was happening as the general intensity of operations and new admissions has been actually decreasing. Last Saturday alone, I had to deal with 7 deaths and 5 codes at one of our facilities. One of those deaths was a 25 year old young lady who was found at home passed out from Covid complications. Her child was delivered prematurely in the ER and rushed to NICU but was not expected to survive. The mother coded on the way to the OR and did not make it. I am happy to say that the baby boy is still hanging on. One of the people I lost was a colleague who was in my ordination class. Another was a nurse I had worked closely with on difficult cases for years. We were both crazy and made a good team.

That was a particularly bad day but the others were bad as well. It got to where all I could manage was to struggle from one page to the next and hoping for a few moments respite between emergencies and tragedies. The emotional drain has far surpassed the physical one.

Early on, I would check my emails but then even that became too much the chore and my only goal was endurance. For a while I worried about the need to let people know what was going on; that I was not ignoring posts or PMs. Finally, though, I really stopped caring.

I slept 13 hours at home last night. I plan on introducing myself to my wife today and make sure that the dogs remember what I smell like. I even hope to fix a few thing around the house and maybe trim some brush. The idea of a meal prepared and served in a place that does not stock stomach pumps also has a certain amount of appeal.

Tomorrow I will start responding again. I think that I managed to send everything out that was supposed to go. If I did not, however, I will process a full refund and still send out your order. For those waiting to finalize purchases, I will do so if you want. I just need to check the dates of the messages to find out who is in line. My wife would probably even appreciate it if I would clear out a little stock.

To all, I offer my sincere apologies.

Peace and Grace,

John A. Lee O.S.L. (JAL3)
TRA 03040, L1 8 March 2008
Photos of the "Fleet": http://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/

I used to tell Mom, "...I want to fly rockets when I grow up!"

She said, "Make up your mind, you can't do both!"