View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Jerry.

Good to see you alive n kickin' .. suppose if anyone has historical HPR stuff it might be you - although who thought to make patterns and detailed notes back then, I know we didn't.

going to comment inline below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Hey Al. There is an Astro Dynamics ad on the back of a CRm in I think June of 82 or 83 from which you can gleen some info. I don't have much.

- will have to check that, I have not quite all the CRm issues, in fact got a couple form you as I recall, others from Chris.
I do recall an Astro Dynamics ad in Model Rocketeer, too.. could maybe extrapolate from those, if need be, big thing is fins, to get dead on - I always hope someone out there has the info to work it up perfect, otherwise I may wind up doing some 'from pics' buildups.
( of note on the AD kits - they got some pictured in MR that were 'clearly non model rockets' - to quote Pat - same things they busted on you, and Chris ( LDRS1 ads ) for, was a crazy world then .

On the CD Starfire, is that the backward fin rocket or the BT-9 minimum diameter one? If the former, there is an ad showing it for CD t-shirts in CRm I forget the date, and it was a BT-70HD 17.5 inches long and the foam ogive 2.5:1 nose cone. I can post a NC photo if you don't already have that.

- ok, I have a 1982 CD catalog with pics, it;'s the forward swept fin bird, I have NO idea on the fin patterns, but maybe I can get close, if you;re sure on the tube length - one length at 17.5 " . I still have one foam cone in a box someplace, so can get the length from that .

Stargate got its start from the parts rubble of CD so that tube is also BT-70HD (almost exact USR BT-22 modern tube), and they ran an ad for that rocket in CRm so you ought to be able to get fin sizes and shapes by measuring photos or drawings and scaling to known part dimensions like tube OD 2.25" for example.

- Stargate was,indeed, CD parts, that I knew, including CD foam cones, the one I have is from my Stargate Aero-Ram, but as noted above, we neglected to make patterns for future posterity, hence my fervor now.

The Ace Fugue is a BT-23 and is 34" long with a 6" base shroud to BT-11 and a 5:1 handmade redwood nose cone. The Pinnacle cones are close but the tube diameters are not. The fins are triangular with the rear trailing edge convex curved a bit (90 degrees at each intersection). There may be photos in early CRm's.

- this helps muchly, length of shroud was unknown ,as well as BT lengths - no payload ? . still not certain on the fins, but will see what I come up with . 5:1 cone Gordy can do, if nothign else. maybe not in redwood .

The Squid is easy to duplicate because it uses an Estes PNC-80 (alpha) and a BT-80-34 HD and 8 18" x 1/4" dowels and there are good photos to replicate it.

- Squid I have never been able to get dowel info on, so now I htink I can do it - got info from another source it had a drilled balsa block to stick the dowels in ? but is that true ? ( lot of work to machine ) . any idea of the angles ?

http://www.v-serv.com/crp/CRm/4-83/CRm.4-83.26.w.gif

The Allegro Largo I seem to recall used 4x BT-18 to a single BT-39. The BT-18's would be 34" again, two BT-39's at 34" and a 16" handmade 2x2" redwood core, balsa exterior nose cone. Thus a redwood tip.

- Allegro Largo, per Crm pics, and online here : http://www.northernohiotra.com/history/ldrsgallery.html
suggest a THREE cluster, CRm states multiple places that they were flwon on '3xG62', etc....triple 1.8/1.9" tubes seem to fit nicely into a BT39, so seems to make sense, not sure on the mounts, 29mm in the 1.8 ? or 38 ? ( this being pre-38mm, I thought ) .
I never saw one of those redwood tip cones in person, I have one with a teflon or nylon tip, hand turned, and I have a few 2.6" - last batch Korey did, iirc.

I think it used scaled up Fugue fins ala the Chromatic Fantasy.

- looks like triangle fins, ala the original Allegro, would be easy to copy from a good pic, maybe, knowing Korey, they come out standard type dimensions. ( ie: nice increments, 2.25" vs 2.18". )

BT-39 is 3.90" ID x 050 wall

- same as modern 4" ( or close enough, same tubing Kline pioneered and Loc,etc copied )

BT-23 is 2.34" one or the other 050 wall

hmm... 2.34" OD in the original Enerjet 2250 tubes - and FSI tubes. never put that together with the BT23 designation. I have some 2.4" tubes I got from Chris when NCR went under, always figured they were same as Ace - I have an Ace 2.4" Allegro cone ( long balsa one ), and it;s tight but fits. thought they were 2.4", so will have to mic one.

BT-18 is 1.80" ID x 050 wall

- current Aerotech tubing ? or close ( NCR cones fit AT tubing, so guessing they are close ) .

BT-70HD is 2.175" ID and 040 wall

- as USR uses, NOT 2.25" loc, or AAA 2.17 OD thick wall.... BT70HD as offered by Semroc is real close, I believe.

BT-80HD is I forget the ID and 040 wall

- question here is if the wall was thicker inner or outward then Estes, ( ie: Loc tubes are same ID as Estes, whereas AAA tubes and NCR tubes were same OD as Estes. guessing same ID if you noted Squid used PNC-80, would make sense, same as the BT-3.9 fits PNC-101.

http://www.v-serv.com/crp/CRm

Jerry

~ AL

TRA 090