View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Revised Plan -- Andromeda Mk VI

The Andromeda has been a work-in-progress for some time, now, and I hope you don't mind the constant revisions. Discovering the issue with the ring fins and simple inside tubes didn't help, but at least I have a better understanding of what to expect in future designs with this detail. Now, as I look more at the last-posted version (Mk V.2) I see the need to "dress it up" just a bit. So with that, I give this additional caveat: These details add visually to the design, but they also kill about 150' off the top altitude with the C6. I don't think it's the weight as much as it is the negative stability this detail works against the static margin when applied to the forward shroud, and what I had to do on the rear shroud to compensate. Visually, these details make sense...

Length: 27.95"
Diameter: 1.64" (ST-16 shrouds)
Fin Span: 5.799"
Weight: 2.022 oz

CG: 19.5362" [empty location]
CP: 22.8574"

B4-4......316'......Dv 16 FPS
B6-4......324'......Dv 12 FPS
C6-5......756'......Dv 7 FPS

All motors in this list reach flight velocity on a standard launch rod. The A8-3 had poor overall performance and required a longer rod, so it was dropped.

Enjoy!

Addendum: As with all the other issues in RockSim, I think this detail issue is over-calculated by the program. These shroud details should never have caused as much instability as shown. The problem is these items had to be created as FINS, and not as raised surface items, which probably would not affect the flow of air to the same degree. I am sure, with more research into the program, I can compensate for the extreme effects. I really need to pull out those older "Peak Of Flight" newsletters and rummage through them for anything on fins...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Andromeda Mk VI 2D.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  78.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Andromeda Mk VI 3D.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  48.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Andromeda Mk VI.rkt (126.9 KB, 282 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635