Thread: Centuri V-2
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 01:08 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ok, my V2 kit arrived yesterday. Some issues with FedEx package routing, as it took a week to get here. Seller did a great job packing the two kits very well and off via FedEx. However, FedEx showed no additional tracking status after he dropped them off for almost five days. Anyway, they are here now….

And in particular on the plastic cone for the V2, after examining mine very closely I think I might know the core issue with the cone. Mine also had the drilled hole in the base.

The remaining ‘lug’ on the base of my cone looks to be a bit more than yours Jeff. A closer look with a large magnifying glass indicates that the leg has not be ‘cut’ or ‘sawed’ off at all; it was never properly formed inside the mold.

The ‘nubs’ of what IS left are well-rounded portions of two ubs of the lug about 3/32” high with no sharp edges, cut marks, saw marks, etc. What it certainly looks like is only so much molten plastic flowed into that part of the mold and just stopped. The lug therefore never completely formed. WHY that is I do not know and I do not know if this was the fate of all cones like this one produced in the molds. Some of them may have come out ok.

Jeff, if you look very closely at yours with a magnifying glass you may also find yours has not actually been ‘cut’ off. It may be like mine and just never did form completely when it was made.

The biggest question would be why Centuri apparently did not fix this mold issue. Especially in light of the fact that at this very same time, Centuri had two other plastic cones — one of for the Nike Smoke and one for the Quasar — that had also just been introduced and had this same type of lug, but neither had this same issue. SEEMINGLY, the issues with this cone were not fixed and the cone and the kit were dropped shortly thereafter.

Earl

Hi Earl,
It does appear that the Centuri KS-19 V-2 plastic nose cone that I have has the nubs filed down where the original eyelet was located (photo attached). On the drilled hole that is adjacent to the original formed eyelet location, there is a small amount of residual flashing inside the drilled hole.

Did the Centuri KS-19 V-2 kit you purchased on eBay happen to have the additional literature, like I have, referring to the plastic nose cone included with your kit? If so, I am curious if the literature is the same or different from what I posted earlier here in post #6, https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...848&postcount=6?

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_plastic_nose_cone1_base.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  98.9 KB