Thread: FSI Kit Eras
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

As per usual, I am late to this thread. I have been on a bit of an FSI tear lately, building all the models I ever wanted to have from them.

I still have my original OSO, a veteran of many, many flights.

For all of the critique of FSI quality over the years (well-deserved, I must say), the things are nearly indestructible. I never destroyed an FSI model, only lost them. Also FSI made my favorite all-time motor – the F100.

I am frustrated in my attempt to clone certain models because the instructions often list tube sizes and lengths but not always. The illustrations in the catalogs were done by someone with rather humble skills (as an illustrator myself, I say this kindly) who paid little attention to things like perspective, proportion and shading. So they are as a reference source, as my wife says, "6 kinds of useless".

It's a fairly easy thing to make the cones as FSI didn't have a huge variety. If you have one of each, and the ability and tools to turn them (which I happily do) then they can easily be cloned – also Semroc is a big help here. The one exception is the Nike Smoke – only kit that used that cone and so far (for me) difficult to find.

There is currently an Orbit kit in the For Sale section but the owner is away for a bit, and I am hoping he can measure the tubes for me upon his return (if I can't make a deal for the kit). They appear to be 8 inches for the upper and lower sections. If anyone can confirm this, please let me know. I think this changed over time so an earlier kit may be different than a later one.

Thanks.