View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Sizzler build

I am just going through some old kits in my bins and decided to build this old Sizzler kit. I think I have all the Estes models that were named Sizzler. As a matter of fact, there are 2 versions of this Sizzler. I have the first one that came out in 1983 and was part of the Big Foot Launch package. Also the first Sizzler came with the PNC-50Y nose and this later version came with PNC-50YR nose. Estes also made changes to the instructions but everything else is the same. I wont even go into all the Estes rocket named Sizzler. I took some pictures of my KISS old school build process. First, this is an old kit as you can see from the die cut balsa. I like these old kits and yes the die cut parts can be a challenge, but that is how we built these old rockets. With die cut parts, it takes a bit of time to sand smooth and make all the fins the same size. Once the sanding is complete I brushed on a coat of Brodak Sealer. Let it dry 20 min and brush on a second coat. I let this dry 1 hour then sanded nice and smooth. I posted a picture of the instructions where Estes has you seal and sand the balsa before gluing to the rocket. I never understood why some of their instructions had you seal before attaching, and on more complicated builds they had you seal after assembly. After balsa is sealed, I build the rocket as per the plans using plain old white glue. Just like that, after a few hours the rocket is built, allowed to dry overnight for the painting process. Since I am using Krylon Acrylic paint I am not using primer. I posted pictures of different stages of applying the gloss white. I lightly spray the gloss white building up the color, this is great paint can recoat anytime. After a few light coats, I will apply 1 or 2 wet coats. Now I let dry 24 hours then mask and spray gloss black. By the way, I love the fresh smell of Testors tube cement and dope/sealer in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0060.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  872.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0064.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  1.42 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0066.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  1.50 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0069.JPG