View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Did you 'freehand' your cut on the tank shroud? Such with scissors or xacto knife? The 'scallops' of your shroud look super-clean, almost like they were machine cut or cut with a die of some type.

I was doing some practice cutting on copies of the 1/70 tank shroud for the Estes kit, and with either scissors or hobby knife, it is hard to cut those curved scalloped areas cleanly.

What's your secret??

Earl

Hi Earl,
First off I have no secret to cutting the tank shroud. BUT what I do is first make a cut around the scallops about a 1/16 or 1/8 inch from the line of the scallops. After I have done this to all the scallops, I go back and start cutting the scallops out. This way it is easyer to cut on the line and less resistance on the scissors. Use a sharp pair of scissors. I buy a new pair just about every six month at the store. Use little scissors if you can find them. Another thing , where the black areas are on the scallops, take a black magic marker and color the edge of the paper or card stock. It makes the cut look cleaner.

Hope this helps you out next time.
Frank.