View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
I have a Centuri Mini-Dactyl kit that I got from Don Fent about ten years ago. The nose cone is equivalent to Semroc's BC-515E (1.5" elliptical), and Carl McLawhorn posted elsewhere that this was the only kit that used this particular nose cone.

I agree, the catalog photo shows a 2.2" long PNC-54, which I much prefer aesthetically.

In cases like this, I find myself wanting to recreate the catalog pictures instead of the actual kit. Case in point? Three pointy Semroc BC-517 pod cones on the Centuri Taurus instead of the PNC-51s.

Cheers,

Now on the Taurus I can confirm that the early releases of that kit DID feature the longer, more pointed (and, as you pointed out, MUCH better looking) PNC-54 pod cones as shown in the catalog photos. I have an early sealed Taurus kit and it does feature the PNC-54s.

But, later kits feature the much shorter and rounded PNC-51s, like used on the Two Bits kit. It seems the later kits have instructions with, as I recall, an "-04/74" revision date and show the use of the -51s for the pods.

So, sometime in the Spring of '74 it seems Centuri revised the Taurus to use that anemic looking -51 cone.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970