View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM
That 70's Rocketeer

Default From the wreckage they shall rise...

Well, I took pity on a couple boxes of vintage wrecked/unfinished rockets from about 1970/71. They are all repairable, some need more repair than others. So through the rest of the winter I'm going to restore them to flight operation and paint in the spring. I'll post pictures as I progress.

First up are the Centuri Recruiter and Quasar.

The Recruiter was missing 4 of the 6 fins, but all clean breaks. Made replacements using one of the two remaining as a template. Overall it's in good shape, I'm going to mask off the decals and repaint the white to make it look good.

The Quasar was in pretty bad shape. It appears to be an early issue, as it predates the plastic nose with a balsa one and paper canopy. All three ram jet pods were missing and 1 fin. The remaining 2 fins were detached, but unbroken. I cut a new fin and replaced the ram jets with parts from Semroc. Not sure about painting it, 1) just paint the replaced parts with some touch up, or 2) repaint it completely and use replacement decals. Some of it's charm to me is the well used look, but the Quasar is just too cool, I'd love to have it looking it's best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Recruiter.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  84.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quasar.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  77.3 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com