View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 09:47 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The rest of my flights were on EX day. I really only remember flying my 4" Cherokee upscale on a red propellant J-300 motor and my 1/2 scale (about 12.5 ft tall) Aerobee Hi (single stage) on an L-1000 sparky motor that echoed off the tree lines. These were not motors from the motor making class. IIRC, Jim had them make a fairly low smoke orange flamed propellant he called Diamondback and they were either two grain H or three grain I motors. I borrowed chutes from everybody I knew cause I didn't have any big ones. Each half of the Aerobee came down with dual deployment, a single "drogue" and then two more at the second deployment. Six successful chutes!
BTW, I am not Jim Mitchell if you watch Earl's video again. I had to fly under his EX paperwork so my rockets were announced as his. That's ok cause I used his 76mm case (long before it became a commercial product) and I made the propellant at his shop a few weeks before LDRS.
Sounds interesting. Sorry to say we drove back to Louisiana on EX day so I missed your flights. I never flew EX myself but I have a buddy in our prefect here in Louisiana that rolls his own ... I can appreciate the guys do EX and the attention to detail to be successful.
I need to see if I can transfer some of these VHS tapes to view them on my laptop. I guess I need to find a cheap VCR and get a dongle or look for a hardware device to do that [one day].

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Yes the FPOD guys were nice. I personally had so much prepping to do I probably wasn’t social. In addition to the 7 motor airstartd cluster, I prepped a two stager as well, but ran out of time. It was fun watching FPOD being put together with what seemed like many, many screws if I recall.

That’s cool you flew your own propellant there. Since I wasn’t with a group making propellant yet, for fun on EX day I put a G64 and F40 in a fiberglass case made from a used Vulcan motor, worked great.
I think everyone that was there the day the FPOD flew was really excited to see that one launch. Didn't know the guys personally and was probably busy prepping myself.

If you can find and post that picture of your LOC Magnum I'd love to see it. Looks like a great lift off shot. That was the old school standard HPR confirmation [er, certification] rocket.

You and my buddy Ronnie must think alike. He also converted his Magnum to a seven motor cluster. These pictures were taken at Southern Thunder in Manchester, TN 2005. Ronnie flew his Magnum and I flew a Big Nuke 3E that's about the same size as the LOC Magnum. That's me with Ken Herrick from Al's Hobby Shop. Ken flew a lot of EX stuff in his Big Nuke 3E. It's a shame but I'm pretty sure BATFE regulation is what killed Al's Hobby Shop and a lot of others HPR rocketry business. I bought a lot of stuff from Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  645.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  446.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  394.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates