View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

A few things:

A VERY heavy board with a hole(s) for launch rods to aid vertical rocket prep. The heavy board is to wind-gust resistant (I hated seeing my rocket fall over in a wind gust). A single board, made for stairs and cut in half, works fine.

A box top from copy paper to build RMS motors (tip from a fellow rocketeer). That way after I place all the parts in the box for the build I can visually check that I don't have any parts left (which would be a very bad thing).

Voltage tester. Did you know that a battery at 80 or 85% of rated voltage is basically dead for whatever device you are using it for? New batteries are typically over 100% of rated voltage.

Handheld GPS. To help locate rockets that go far, far, away.

Clothes pins. 2 uses. 1, I glue sandpaper in the "mouth" and use them as rod standoffs for modrocs and LMRs. 2, I use them in parachute prep to hold the parachute/lines folded until I am ready to place it in the airframe.

Attire: boots (thick soled hiking-style, but comfortable), jeans, hat, sunglasses. Also, I recently added a fly-fishing vest so I could put extra igniters, etc into the various pockets.

Finally, a checklist to help me remember to bring all this stuff.

Greg