View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

I finally sat down and did a little sanding. I love sanding!

I fine tuned the outline of the fins and then started on the taper. It would be hard enough to do it with the fins off the rocket. It's a royal pain mounted. I'm only putting the leading edge taper on the fin. I'm not going to profile it where it starts thick at the root and gets thinner at the edge. The leading edge would be razor thin at 1/100 scale so I'm going to leave it a little round and soak it with CA. Photos are the beginning of roughing out the shape.

The corrugations on the engine shrouds have taken a lot of damage over the years. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, if anything. I may just prime them and smooth the worst of it with a scotchbrite pad. It's not going to be perfect with all the years of neglect, basically sitting ready to be primed. It's been handled by my kids, chewed on by the cat, knocked over, etc. etc. I plan on flying it at least once or twice a year until either it or I crash and burn. I've got 2157's and 1969's if I want to build a showpiece. Meanwhile my retired Centuri kit looks pretty majestic considering I built it when I was a kid, hand painted all the roll patterns, and flew the snot out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20190604_105301.resized.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  221.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20190604_111857.resized.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  253.0 KB