View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The old "thermalite based" sure shot is even better than cannon fuse for instant, almost guaranteed upper stage ignition.
Too bad thermalite wick is one of the numerous items the Gestapo, oops...I mean BATFE, has eliminated from the average rocket hobbyist's available items.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. It's been a good while since I've staged anything with black poweder motors and come to think of it I remember having success with fsi motors both direct staged with one wrap of scotch tape with the supplied thermalite igniter installed in the upper stage motor, and with a gap between the stages but still with a thermalite igniter in the upper stage. It would seem the consensus here is to have an igniter in the upper stage motor to .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Remember when you could get that stuff by the roll from HPR companies like LOC, THOY, and Magnum?

YES! I remember buying a 30M roll of the pink thermalite (slow-20 sec/foot) from Ross at an LDRS launch right off the back of his truck ..... and we all know we'll never see that happen again. Unfortunately I used the last of what I had around 1994. You may remember the Robby's Rockets cluster igniters were flash bulbs with several long whips of thermalite enclosed in teflon tubing with a shrink wrapped single whip attached to that and the bulb. I had some of those and just cut them up into single igniters until I ran out for good.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates