View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 PM
Craftsman

Scott,

I am no longer using PLA filament for my 3D prints; instead I am using ABS which I find to be less brittle and much more heat and warp resistant. ABS, at least in my experience, is much easier to sand smooth than PLA and accepts paint and glues made for plastics well. The attached picture is is of some ABS parts that I recently printed. I am trying to clone an Estes Geo Sat LV. I got the files for these 3D plastic parts from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:440953

The key to printing with ABS was to use the right extruder temperature, I had to do a lot of trial and error runs before I found the ABS plastic's optimal print temperature. Note that I do not have an enclosed printer as is generally reccomended for ABS filament. I also haven't had any issues with the ABS filaments picking up moisture. I am using both Hatchbox and Solutech brand ABS filaments and have got great 3D print results with both of them.

Have you tried 3D printing with ABS filament? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences with filaments other than PLA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ABS 3D Prints (480x640).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  208.1 KB  
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055