View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Apollo Nut

This is just hard news to take.

Honestly, I just don't see how they could begin to enforce any 'copyright' claim to models of 'actual' rockets/spacecraft. I mean really, they don't 'own' the Saturn V, Saturn 1b, or Little Joe II designs at all. Those 'designs' were paid for by the American taxpayer actually, and as such, anyone should be free and able to produce models, kits, representations, etc. and market those to their heart's content.

As for the Arcon and Aerobee, those were not Estes/Cox/Centuri (whoever....) designs either. Actually, THOSE designs did eminate from a commercial third party, and I'm sure back in the day Estes and Centuri had to obtain some type of release from the respective companies that developed THOSE vehicles to market a model thereof. If those companies still exist, I would think that Semroc (should they desire) could go to those companies just as Estes/Centuri did 'back in the day' in obtain permission to produce a kit today. It would be hard to imagine that Hobbico could stop that.

If Semroc wanted to produce a model Space Shuttle tomorrow, I do not see how Hobbico could even begin to think they could stop you from doing it simply because they marketed a flying Space Shuttle model at one time! That's rediculous to me. Or...how about the V-2? Are they saying Semroc cannot produce THAT kit either, simply because THEY marketed one in the past?

As for their 'internal' designs (Laser-X, etc.) that is a bit different. But, if they allowed those designs to enter 'free enterprise' without defending them for X number of years, then they may have lost their copyright on those. I'm no lawyer, but I would think their case might be somewhat flimsy in some instances.

Carl, I appreciate what you are saying about the cost of trying to fight something like this. If anyone knows a lawyer that might be willing to work with Carl on this pro-bona (I believe that is the term), that would certainly be great.

Also, Carl do you believe a 'letter writing' campaign (or 'email campaign') by the members here (in a diplomatic, yet passionate manner) to the principles of Hobbico on your behalf be in order right now, or would you prefer for us to hold off on that until you can discuss things with them? I think many of us would send off a letter of 'please back off Semroc' tomorrow to Hobbico if you feel that would help.

I would be highly inclined not to do any business at all with Estes if THIS is the kind of game they are gonna play.

Does someone have any direct friendship with Ricky Piester (or through his dad Lee) that could possibly talk some sense into Hobbico with this thing? This really just seems completely petty on their part.

Carl, I'll pray for a positive solution to this entire thing that will allow you folks to stay in business and continue to supply the parts you do. You are too valuable a resource to loose!

Best Regards,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970