View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile near perfect Sunday

A busy day for me today, but a decent one. Winds about 4 mph gusting to maybe 7 mph at times, temperature a balmy 77 degrees with full sun....not bad for November!

Today I decided to launch from the spillway at East Fork State Park (about 10 minutes from home). First up as a way to check the winds was my Custom Screamer (the one with the warped fins) on a B6-4. Flight was surprising straight and nice....I guess the spin imparted by the fins can be a good thing . Unfortunately the shroud lines tangled so the chute didn't deploy. No damage to rocket so all is good.

Next up was the LOC Cool Spool on a G71-4R. I had a devil of a time getting this one to go. I initially had continuity, but no launch. After that nada. I finally ended up removing the stupid copperhead ignitor and replacing it with a first fire. That worked splendidly, though the engine chuffed for a moment before taking off. Not sure if that was due to the age of the motor (it's maybe 12 years old) or if the ignitor wasn't correctly seated. Sadly, the shock cord broke on ejection but no damage to the spool and the parachute was recovered as well. Should be easy to repair.

Next up was another launch of the Custom Screamer with the B6-4. Another straight flight with proper chute deployment.

Next launch I decided to go ahead and fly the digital Astrocam using the Tigres as the booster. This rocket works well with the camera and the bright orange color makes finding the rocket in the tallish weeds easier . First launch was with the B6-4, followed by another with a C6-5. The C6-5 flight landed near the (short) edge of the field but landed safely. Both launches had correct deployment of the 12" plastic chute, though deployment came just a touch early. An extra second of delay would have been ideal.

Final launch of the day was the Estes Big Daddy. I'd hope to send this up on a D9-4 but alas the copperhead gave me the same troubles as with the spool. I swapped it for a firstfire, but either the propellent was reluctant to light or I'd inserted the ignitor too deep (the masking tape across the end of the grain wasn't sticking very well). The ignitor ignited but failed to ignite the propellant grain. So, that motor will have to wait for another day. I swapped the D9 for a D12-5 for a perfect flight.

Attached is a link to the video of the Astrocam launches. There is one small error....at the end I said the stills are from the C6 launch, they are except for the first...it's the B6 launch. I didn't feel like redoing it to correct that minor error...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share...qCqIuyoUTOv_lFe