View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM
Dazed and Confused

Rush was my first ever concert outside of a few local cover bands in Murfreesboro and Nashvegas. There weren't many concerts afterward that could even start to compare. They were one of the best live acts ever.

Poor Alex had a bad batch of strings in that show. He broke a string at least 5 or 6 times. I'm not sure what strings he was using then, but he was in his G&L Strat phase at the time. He switched guitars on every song and the tech was retuning and restringing the whole show. I never saw so many broken strings, including many shows where the guy played just one or two guitars the whole night.

Neal just pulled a Todd Rundgren and banged on the drums all day... uh, night. He showed very little emotion other than a few concerned expressions where I'm sure he was upset with himself for not being absolutely perfect. He sounded absolutely perfect to me, though! His stuff was so complex that only he would ever know if he "messed up". If he did make a mistake, it was something small like leaving out a little fill...he kept time like a Swiss watch.

I loved everything they did up to and including Moving Pictures. The synth laden stuff after that didn't do much for me.

R.I.P. Neal