View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Craftsman

I print my decals on Bel Inc. clear waterslide inkjet decal papers. However, Bel Inc. seems to be out of buisness due to a law suit from a patent infringement: https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigat...1967428?fref=gc Anyone got any ideas about a quality replacement product that is similarly priced at around $1.20 per 8.5 x 11" sheet?

I tpically use the original scans of the decals supplied at YORF or the JimZ site. My trick is to use the Histogram on the Adjust Exposure menu in Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery to eliminate the background and simultaneously sharpen the details and enhance the colors of the supplied scans. I move the 2 arrow pointers on the x-axis of the histogram closer together. I can easily find a point where the background dissappears completely and the colors and line detail are the brightest and sharpest respectively. The decals are then touched up (not re-drawn) and printed as appropriately sized .jpg files from Windows Paint. I print my decals on a HP 8600 inkjet printer, using the glossy photopaper selection and HP ink. I then clear coat the decals with Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic #1303 which is also hard to find. I use white vinegar thinned Elmer's white glue (1:1) as a setting agent.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055