View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Good to see some action here! I’ve been consumed with home repair/remodeling, in anticipation of a possible move. Our kids and grandkids are in the Denver area, and we want to be closer. And, we are dealing with aging parents still in their home, and they really should not be.

I’m trying to get my Saturn V build restarted, but not having much luck with all the distractions. Last week, while my wife was visiting parents, I escaped to Apogee Rockets with a friend.

I ended up with some printed nylon chutes. Similar to Top Flight thin mill, but with colored patterns. Pretty cool. I also picked up a Semroc Spaceman. Ever since I got my 1964 Estes catalog as a kid, I’ve wanted one. I have no idea why I never got one, but when I saw the Semroc Spaceman on display, I had to have it. It was painted silver, and had black decals that reminded me of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Apogee has a built model of every kit they sell, on display in their lobby. It’s amazing how different some kits look when built, as opposed to my perception of them from facecard pictures, or even a kit picture.

One real benefit to visiting Apogee in person, besides not paying shipping, is that there is usually free parts available. It might be a tube that is the wrong length, or has incorrectly lasered fin slots, or some tubular nylon too short for its intended kit, but something easily useable for a different build.

I definitely did not need another kit, but figured I’d build it in parallel with my Saturn build, maybe as a diversion during the more difficult assembly steps on the Saturn, or while waiting for some recently glued assembly to dry.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp