View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Talking

Ok, I've given the problem some thought.

Here is what I'm thinking on doing. I am looking at gluing the SRB Nose Cone to 1.5" of BT60 tubing and I mean really gluing it so that it doesn't get blown off. This means cutting the SRB's main airframes which is 10.375" each at it's stock length.

Then I would glue the Nose Cone and 1.5" of BT60 to the correct location on the main air frame. This would serve as a solid anchor for the top of the SRBs. Of coarse I would use the assembled full length SRBs to improve alignment while gluing them.

The other 8.875" of the SRT's airframe will connect to the top 1.5" of tubing by BT60 Coupler. One end of the coupler will be butted against the nose cone shoulder forming a anti-blow by seal with the other 1" left over end sliding into the top of the 8.875" SRB airframes.

The bottom of the SRBs will be locked in place by 1/8" launch lugs and dowel rods, two each per boaster.

When the SRB's eject, they will slide straight downward and off the dowels. and the very small parachutes will deploy in a very natural way out of the tops of the boasters much like backfire recovery. The bottom dowels will serve as the bottom anchors during flight with most of the load being on the front 1.5" SRT upper airframe.

I'll have to be careful to have a good fiction fit on the SRB's during flight to keep them from separating at launch that is for sure.

This rocket is for small field launching only, so the SRTs will be most likely using B6-0s and the main motor would be a D12. Burn time for B6-0 is .9 seconds and the D12 is 1.7 seconds.

I added a pic of the Titan IIIe main airframe with both boosters, couplers and nose cones. I didn't add the two dowels and lugs or motor mounts.

So I now open it up to your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Titan IIIe Lower Section.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  92.8 KB