View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

It's been a while since I've posted on my workbench thread...

I've had a Semroc Taurus painted in base white for several years, just sitting on the shelf, patiently. With all the masking needed, I've put it off for a long time. I already had all the nose cones painted in brilliant Italian Red. I couldn't find the orange-ish red that I wanted, so I knew I couldn't go wrong with Italian.

I finally masked off the bottom and painted it black. Had some hazing due to the humidity, so I shot another coat on here in the house to get rid of it. Don't tell the wife.

Next up were the instrument tunnels. I had some beautiful metallic blue paint and shot it on. It's a deep blue, so unfortunately, it looks black in all but bright sunlight or in front of a bright camera strobe. It makes me mad because I had the tunnels shaped very nicely, perfect tiny fillets, near perfect masking, and absolutely zero wicking of paint under the masking.

At any rate, I'm in the process of sanding of the paint so I can put something on that's a little brighter. Kody has some nice Creatix metallic blue stuff that might be the ticket.

Here are the tunnels, which still look a little dark even with the camera strobe. It won't look anywhere near as slick after reworking it, but at least they won't look black.