View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Craig, I'll focus on the standard Semroc balsa reducers (transitions) and follow your lead regarding including both a normal and reversed part. I was just setting up the base template with decimal precision when I saw the file you posted. I am going to use it as template for basic transitions. I will probably post file later tonight for review.

You're going to tackle the Estes Classic transitions, too, right?

Quote:
After working with the .CSV files, I believe this is an area of Rocksim that the developers should look to update. Maybe a move to XML similar to the design file format. The .CSV files are not inherently the problem, but I've seen many inconsistencies while working with the files.

Some include:

- Extra field columns showing up at the end of the file.
- Question marks "?" appearing in the data.
- The inconsistent use of words versus value codes. (i.e. oz and mm versus 0 and 1, etc.)
- Errors in the data cause Rocksim to crash. (Stronger field validation could correct.)

I noticed those extra fields, too, but left them in place for this set, since the master file had them and it did not seem to be causing trouble. Yet, anyway. As for the words vs numerical values, it's probably a holdover from the earlier versions. I don't think these data files have changed that much over releases, other than adding new items.

As for those "?" in the data, are you seeing these in Notepad? In Calc, I see "xxx" whenever the column width is too small to show the data. If I resize the column, the data comes back up.

Quote:
Not complaining here. All these can be cleaned up and corrected manually. It's just my programming background showing through. I think the Rocksim program is a fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't be spending so much time in the data files if I didn't think so. However correcting some of these minor issues could make a great program even better!

... Bill

I understand. And I agree. RockSim has a lot of potential and could be a very strong program with just a little clean-up. I do know this -- Apogee wants RS to be a teaser for the high-end program, RockSim Pro. I'll bet the code is much the same, though, just with some additional code hooks.

One thing I wish RockSim had was a way for third-party code to be hooked in, with published API points.

Anyway, I'll tackle the tailcones. It won't take too long, maybe by tomorrow night. I'll combine your file with mine to complete the collection and post it as a single CSV.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635