View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Ciderwright

Recall, it started off at 200g.

Given that I'm upscaling a Tercel, I don't know that I could have done much to make the fore-aft balance better. I don't think the tail is -that- overbuilt, or that the RC horns are adding that much weight. I think it's part of the design and upscaling it just amplified the noseweight needed. That said, I noticed after testing that I had left a little up elevator trim in the servos from the last test. So it probably doesn't need -quite- 12g up front.

The 7g on the wingtip bothers me more. I sanded my own airfoils out of foamcore and then laminated 1/32" balsa over them. I suspect that I just ended up unsymmetrical in either the original sanding, or in the lamination (it was vacuum bagged) and that the angle of attack is different left vs right. And that's just poor construction skills on my part. To my defense, it -is- my first attempt at a glider this size, or using these techniques. I didn't want to spend the money on a kit, so I scratch built, and am suffering the consequences. Though I did enjoy most of the build itself.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!