View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
+1 to what jeffyjeep said about primer.
White under everything BUT black.
For black I use DARK grey (sometimes called hot-rod black) primer.

Incidentally, I NEVER use Balsa Fillercoat prior to Sanding Sealer for any woods but BALSA.
It is a waste.
For Basswood, Aircraft Ply (Spruce), or Lite-Ply (Poplar), I finish ONLY with 1-3 coats of Sanding Sealer depending on what the grain requires.
For balsa, I use 3-4 coats of Fillercoat with sanding between coats 2, 3, and 4 prior to 2-3 coats of Sanding Sealer.

Added Tip: anyone who uses Sanding Sealer prior to Balsa Fillercoat for finishing balsa is doing it BACKWARDS. The Fillercoat should ALWAYS be applied prior to the Sealer to fill the grain, whereas the Sealer provides a smooth plasticized topcoat for the primer/color coats.

I must be doing it BACKWARDS because I never use Balsa Fillercoat, just 3 to 4 coats of balsa sealer for smooth balsa fins. 3 to 4 coats of balsa sealer sounds less than 3 to 4 coats of balsa fillercoat followed by another 2 to 3 coats of balsa sealer. Someone else on another forum told me I was doing it wrong also but I think the results speak for themselves. Feel free to search my builds and I think my balsa parts come pretty good for doing it backwards.
The Vigalante has 3 coats of balsa sealer

Centuri Screaming Eagle clone 4 coats of balsa sealer

Avenger 3 coats of balsa sealer