Thread: Airbrush Tech
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Master Modeler

Styme, I am glad you posted your technique of painting rockets with an airbrush and acrylics. I exclusively use an airbrush when painting scale plastic models and balsa flying models. The airbrush gives a real nice paint job for these projects that I know I can not achieve with spray paint. Using an airbrush does take time, patience and practice. Don't think you can go out and buy a kit with immediate results. I use spray cans on rockets since I am not going for the same looks as a plastic job. I like the convenience and ease of using spray cans. I only use Lacquer based paints since they dry fast and produce a nice smooth finish. Unfortunately Krylon has stopped making lacquer based spray paint. Car paints are lacquer based but they are pricey. I have never had any luck with Enamel spray paints so if this was my only option. I would start using acrylics with my air gun. If you want a paint thats not as harmful as lacquers, then definitely go with acrylics. The main point here, there are many options to painting.