View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
7/21/61

Ken,

Very interesting about the motor mount being visible through the clear fin unit. I never thought of that. You're absolutely right though, that it wouldn't look right.

Dave from Red Arrow once made the comment to be about the Skywriter that he'd had lots of requests for it in a school bulk pack, which he'd communicated to Estes, but they'd never made it available. I agree with him, seems like a natural.

The Skywriter Launchable was also a great idea. I can't believe they discontinued it.

I thought you'd appreciate the following Skywriter photos.

The first is five Skywriters included in the lineup I launch for Science Day at my daughter's school. It is always a big hit and I use it to demonstrate the classic "4FNC with a parachute" style of rocket.

Second picture is Vern at NARAM 49 signing the Skywriter my daughter built.

Final picture is of my daughter's E-Super Roc which she entered at NARAM 49. It was a minimum diameter BT-50 design. She chose a Skywriter cone for the nosecone and, inspired by your creation, painted the rest of the rocket to match. She chose to paint the ferrule green and turned the entire fin section into the pink eraser. I tried to convince her that since the event was Super Roc altitude she should leave it unpainted to save weight. She argued that the smoother finish would help. Apparently she was right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ScienceDayRockets.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  89.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vern.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  80.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SuperRocRecord.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  95.1 KB