View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Got the first order in yesterday. Included a 'Wind Seeker' rubber band powered foam airplane and a 'Tuff Birds' balsa wood airplane, also rubber band powered, along with the Christmas ornament and a catalog.

I'm torn between starting a Nike Apache or the Honest John. As is typical for many of us, I've got 'several' vintage birds in various states of finish that I REALLY need to be working on: a Centuri ALCM Cruise Missile, a Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1b, a Centuri F-104 Starfighter, and an Estes Patriot (red, white, and blue early 70s kit) and an Estes A20 Demon. But it is tempting to break into one of these 'brand new' kits and start cutting and gluing.

The second order is scheduled for delivery today.

Earl

I love the #7240 Honest John. I built mine when they first came out. The fin beveling is a bit tedious — I spread it out over a couple weeks! I also had bought a set decals from sandman, so mine is done in medium green. It looks a bit glossy in the pictures but I did my typical gloss clear coat over flat paint, added decals, and then used matte clear. It could use a bit more flattening perhaps. I had bought two, and in the recent Estes sale, bought two more, so I have three “extras” now ...

Mini and #7240 Honest Johns. (Mini also has beveled fins. Those were almost impossible to hold onto to sand.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  422F8DE2-E853-4E3C-BC1F-0F621689C38C.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  408.0 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp