View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 11:34 AM
rosko_racer

Default Finishing and Assembly

The middle BT was left without paint. I made sure that all edges that were to be glued were not exposed to paint, and were also later sanded to ensure good fiber contact. On the Big Ring, the locations where the fins were to slide over, the white paint was carefully scratched and removed.

Wood glue was used to attache the gold mylar to the rocket parts because as when I removed it from the card, it still had some paper fibers attached to it. This worked great and I was happy with the results. I also used wood glue to attach the red BT to the white BT.

Assembly did not take long, only waited for different sections to dry and cure before handling it. I carefully used Medium CA to attach the parts. After the SL was assembled I applied a thin line of Medium CA as "fillets" to the fins and let that cure for about 48 hours. Lastly I applied Future to all the gold and black parts.

I am happy with the results and I can say "Yes, it can be painted before assembly with good esthetic results..." For now it is part of my shelf queen rocket display. Not sure when or where I would attempt to fly it as I have no motors for the LS... USPS/DPO regulations would not allow me to order motors from the states. Also, if I fly it I hope that the CA holds this thing together at least for one flight. If it flies and "disassembles" in the air then it would be a "show to see"!!! It would also be an excuse to build another one.

Well folks, how you enjoy this little story. Keep building and Keep flying!!!!

- Raul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  115.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  101.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  125.5 KB  Click image for larger version