View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Master Modeler

At the same time, I picked up a couple of Baby Bertha kits at HL and built one to try Rustoleum Professional spray paint. Chris on his model rocket blog page has been trying this paint with good results. I built the Bertha in one day, next day primed followed by sanding the fuzzies from raised grain and shot another coat of primer a hour later. Hour later, sanded smooth and shot the Gloss white in the same day. I let this dry 48 hours, masked with cheap masking tape and shot Gloss Black. No attempt was made to fill the balsa grain. When I shot the gloss black, I had some debris get on my paint job from a near by tree. This paint dries so fast I was able to wet sand the debris and shoot a final coat of gloss black while staying in the 1 hour window. So far this paint appears to work much better than other Rustoleums paints I have used, and it is super glossy and has great coverage. Also for not doing any prep work with the fins, this rocket actually looks good from a foot away. The grain really pops out when you get close to the rocket as you can see from my pictures. Still, not bad if you want a fast build and don't mind the grain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0045.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  300.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0048.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  1.07 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0054.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  1.20 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0057.JPG