View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

I've built just about every kit Model Minutes offered, before and during Nick/EMRR's ownership of them. They were pretty neat kits and held up fairly well in flight. There were a few things, as a general rule, I'd plan on replacing/improving upon though if you build any:

--ditch the chute, especially the cotton string shroud lines, use ANYTHING else you have. They're that bad...

--ditch the 3-d glasses. They're worthless, better to just muddle through the slightly blurry directions without them. I think this was originally some feeble effort to prevent people from trying to just photocopy the kits (meaning you had to buy through them to get the glasses), but I'm pretty sure Nick put a stop to that once he bought them.

--many kits (including the G-75) use laminated foam panels. The kits have been stored a long time, been through several moves by now, so don't be surprised if the foam is slightly dented/crushed. Plan on swinging by a craft store to replace, not worth trying to salvage if dinged.

--use a fresh blade. You'll be doing a LOT of cutting. Don't use scissors, even though it's paper. Knife is a cleaner, straighter cut.

--Lots of bending, score the backside (interior) of bend lines first using the non-cutting side of the knife blade.