View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Ciderwright

One booster snapped the shock cord. 1/8" sewing elastic on a kevlar thread anchor. If you look closely, the nosecone floats down gently on the chute and the boost flings up and then falls.

The other booster stripped all but one threads on the chute - the orange Estes chute - 12"??

Neither had any zippering problems.

If you want to keep the look of boosters separating with the core continuing on, then I don't know a solution. A C11-3 or D12-3 would push the separation higher - The E burnout would be about then - but none of the delay to slow towards apogee. So still fast.

If you went with a longer delay - like a -7, then you would be closer to apogee - but loose the effect - and all your pieces would be higher.

If I hadn't used too-thick plexiglass fins, then the boosters would be light enough that I wouldn't worry about using a streamer. In fact, the booster with the chute with 1 thread only came down fine, the motor hook is just a little bent. The booster that came down free fall cracked the custom tail piece that Sandman turned for me pretty badly. But in big chunks, so some CA put it all back together.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!