View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Hi, Mojo,

Neither section landed on the grass field. Since I was a dummy and inadvertently installed a 3 second delay motor in the booster, the whole affair flew quite high before igniting the upper stage and separating. The booster ended up falling into a wild area outside the park boundaries that featured tall weeds and a large expanse of marshy ground populated by cat-tails and water reeds.

Had I grabbed the proper zero delay motor out of the range box, the booster would have landed in the flying field, and the upper stage would not have ignited at such a high altitude. I might have stood a chance at getting that back as well.

In a way, I'm not greatly lamenting the loss of the Star Trooper. It was definitely the 'jinxed' rocket of my fleet. Not one of the five flights it logged was without a problem requiring repair or re-build of some sort.

I may re-build another similar booster section, though. I have some spare fin sheets from a Comanche 3 kit from which I purloined the body tubes and nose for other projects, and I still have my MPC Super-Star clone to use as an upper stage.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/