View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I’d be happy to do post build information It’s pretty straightforward. It’s a standard Estes Saturn V. I had crunched it, and was missing a piece. Its an old #2001, so it sat for 20+years!

Verna was kind enough to send me a shroud.

I’ll post some detail pictures. I can also supply the fin pattern. The toughest part will be the nose cone. This one I turned in basswood on my lathe. But I can provide the dimensions. I should still have a template.

What really sets this off is the Stickershock vinyl. The decals are actually the same size as the BT-60 kit. I chose not to upscale them in size, to give it a look of being much bigger, which of course it is.

I had Mark change the text decal to “Der Saturn Max”, and add some extras.

I was on hiatus from rocketry during the DRM days. The first Max I built was a Double Mini Max two-stage, by combining two kits. I kept thinking of alternative Maxes, and knew what I’d build, when I spotted my dusty old Saturn in my shop’s overhead rafters (floor joist space really, its a basement shop). Some fear set in ... would Vern hate me if he ever saw it?

Vern saw it fly at NARAM-60. My recollection is that he saw me carrying it and said “Oh, my ...”. Mark Bundick said “Thats just wrong”, or something to that effect. I knew it was going to bring strong reactions, positive and negative. The LCO gave a very long, complimentary introduction to the flight. When it lifted with some authority on the Aerotech E18 reload, spouting a nice flame, the crowd roared. Perfect flight, two black chutes at apogee, some slight scuffing from landing in the gravelly site in Pueblo.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp