View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Default Hexagonal tubing?

After reading through some of the SVDT threads here, I got a sense that some folks would like to see something completely new come out of this endeavor. While a lot of folks are excited about new motor possibilities, I've been brainstorming about what "new" thing could be done on the design side.

We all pretty much work with standard components, such as fins, nose cones, and body tubes. But what if you could really change the shape (and thus the look) of those?

Where I'm headed with this line of thought is changing the look of the body tubes. I've never rolled my own, but would it be possible to do a different shape than a circle? Say, a hexagon or a square?

The look I have in my head is along the lines of Estes #1929 Stealth kit. The only problem with that one was that the plastic body made it really heavy. What if you could have hexagonal paper tubes? You could make some really wild, angular looking designs. I think this would have real visual impact, like how a Cadillac CTS really stands out from all of the other "aerodynamic-jelly bean" shaped cars.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Eric