View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Cardstock Designer

Default Designing A Cardstock Rocket Ruhrstal X-4

Really nice morning here in Alaska. Sun was up 4am, air real calm and cool.

After purchasing Peter Alway's booklet Eighteen Rockets and Missiles of WW II, decided to do a design/build thread.

For my drawings Use AutoCAD 2019.

This process of design probably can be used with other CAD/Drawing programs.

This rocket has several continuous curved parts. The nosecone, the front spike with it's "Tuning Fork" detonator, the wingtip canisters. Will not be able to make it to actual shape, but will try to make it look correct.

Since Peter drew it to scale in cm, had to convert to inches for my model. Peter is correct in cm, but haven't used the metric function in AutoCAD in some time (since learning how in 1999).

When I converted from cm to inches, used a program called convert, it will show 6-decimal places for accuracy. That is what I use for all of my ACAD design work. Makes for accurate and well fitting parts.

Last night drew the basic fuselage outline

To start this project, opened up my design drawing. It is pre-set with layers, shapes, and several different RGB true color pallets. A new folder was created to keep the drawing in.

The next step the drawing was saved as: Ruhrstahl X-4, now time to start drawing.

Drew a line by telling ACAD that the length and angle. Converting 201cm to inches results in a line 79.133860" long.

Next a circle is drawn to the correct diameter of the thickest part of the fuselage. This circle is placed at STA 0, at the top of this rocket.

A line is drawn from quadrant to quadrant using the object snap tool.

Right now, all the basic objects are drawn to do the project using 2D techniques.

In screen shot blue circle at top is the fuselage max dia, it has a cyan drawn line from quadrant to quadrant horizontally, the yellow vertical line is the fuselage centerline drawn to the correct length. Also shown on the left of the photo is the properties box. This is very important for information. You'll see how I use it when a tube is created in paper.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen S1.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  64.7 KB