View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Steve-

Ok, checked my #6 and it appears to be like the photo in the seller’s listing. It is interesting to see the variety. Otherwise, your set and my set look identical.

It is amazing to me how well preserved the outer cardboard boxes are! No fading, no brittle cardboard, no discoloration, dark patches, fading, etc. They must have had these VERY well stored the last 70-75 years. And the inner wood box is just simply pristine, as was the knife.

Earl
Earl-

Okay, I have a bit of info on the #6 handles that Sue sent to me today to help identify the different versions. I asked her for pictures from her personal collection and Sue sent me these images as well as permission to post her photos here to assist collecting the other styles, if one is so inclined to do so. Personally I did want to add that out of all the #6 purchases that you and Sue and I made from this eBay seller only mine has that “flat head” collet style. Her findings are below:

“ Hey Steve -Here's some additional pics. I've wrapped some of my personal handles in grip tape and that's what you see with the red handle.
Despite the red tape, you can still clearly see 3 different handle sizes (postiions #2,3 and 4, looking from handle upward orientation).

And I notice there's 3 different necks, (positions #2,3,4), and #3 is a little longer than #1,2 and 4.
I also included the flat head as well as the rounded "egg head" collet style.
The squares on my cutting mat are 1" for reference.

Just an FYI, I looked over my older stuff in my collection, and I noticed the exact same egg head collet is used in the very early (but not the first handle) #2 handles, (and is interchangeable) which leads me to believe the egg head came first, and the flat head succeeded it....as I haven't come across any old style handles with the flat head.”

So, probably as you suggested mine is a transitional #6 handle version with Xacto moving from an older style to a newer style collet design even though my packaging, Xacto logo & set contents along with the procurement dating that you obtained from the seller suggest the same original purchase time frame from Xacto.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  75B94DFA-E1E2-4836-A75E-415F7949D153.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  348.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FA99EA1D-4756-4645-9B66-454E2C28127D.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  330.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CE5CBE7A-31A0-4FD8-80A5-5DE579DBC3A1.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  154.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates