Thread: Forgotten stash
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 PM
BP Mafia

Default Forgotten stash

I love making finds like this. I have a box that contained a Christmas gift I got back in 1980 when I was working for a small commuter airline. It had the usual Hickory Farms assortment, which I remember very little about, but I remember that the box was unusually sturdy and I took mine and a couple of discarded ones home. Not long after we got married I bought and tried to build an Estes Little Joe in what could have been my first BAR moment, but we had just bought a house and that was going to be my project for a few years. The Little Joe went from the dining room table to the top of the china cabinet, then disappeared. I didn't think much about it until 2001 when I got back into the hobby mostly for good. Several years later it turned up in one of my Hickory Farms box, and someday I'll put it together. Tonight I was cleaning and rearranging stuff in my room and found the box again. The Little Joe was still there, but there was also an Estes BLU-97B Cluster Bomb. Several years ago I happened upon one in a clearance section at our local Meijer and picked it up for $.80. That happened to be around the time we moved and the kit disappeared. I looked for it a couple of times, but I had started thinking that I'd imagined it. The box also contained a started Estes Hornet and a stray Alpha, so in keeping with my current mindset to build everything I've neglected over the past few years I just got four new projects on my build table. I'm going to put the box back and see if anything else shows up in it. I'm sure I had a Centuri Mini Dactyl at some point. Maybe there's hope.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2