View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Most of mine look sorta like this:

They have the locking snap as shown here, but have a simpler swivel section sans the fancy bearings. I don't think these are as good as the ones Bob cited, but their locking mechanism is still better than nothing.

These are called duolock-style snaps. The various versions of these at Cabela's website don't seem to have test numbers that are as high as comparable coastlock-style snaps, not even the ones made by SPRO. This style is somewhat easier to find in stores, though. I have gotten most of my rocketry-related terminal tackle in the fishing departments of K-Mart and Walmart.

Also, a friend of mine once warned me that the two tabs projecting out the side of the duolock-style snap could catch and snag on parts of the recovery system. It sounds plausible, but I have never seen that actually happen.

I have to confess here that most of my snap swivels are of the common brass "safety pin" style. I really should replace them all with well-made swivels that have coastlock snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I only use these on birds up to ~E power. After that, I use quick links. At that power level, the added bulk and mass of quick links is no big deal.

Doug

I really wish I could find 1/16" or 3/32" quick links. They would really fill a niche for me in my MPR builds. But I could probably do just as well (maybe even better) with the larger snap swivels made by SPRO.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011