View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I seriously doubt that Rocksim takes into consideration the effect of burn on motor mass (although I could certainly be wrong) and the translation aft of the CG.
Actually, it does. I had a conversation with Tim about that several years ago. The model is fairly simple - as I recall, the consumable motor mass is linearly depleted with burn time (versus a depletion rate which varies with thrust). But I think the model is that simple. I don't think it adjusts the CG of the motor (usually moving aft with the burn). This is more a concern with hybrids, but could apply to any motor.

In my version (v7), it doesn't allow you to calculate the CP of a booster section (to ensure it's unstable, for example). Instead, you have to delete the remainder of the rocket, a PITA.

On a related note, while it allows you to group parts together into modules, I couldn't make an entire stage into a group (altho I understand that in later versions that's possible, no?).

Anyway, it's a pretty good tool, but I got frustrated when, with the release of newer versions, I kept seeing some of the same old bugs. For example, last I checked, it still lists BT-80 as having an inside diameter of 2.588" (instead of 2.558").

The ultimate pisser for me was when I opened one of my better engine files in the Rocksim engine editor, then hit save. It reformatted the file deleting all the comments I had inside. This info was basically the source/history info for each of the motor curves therein. Man, was I PO'd! That's really bad form for it to remove comments from a source file.

Doug

YORF member #11