View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Paper Rocketeer

You really do need to try it, JR - I've been building paper rockets since I got back into the hobby about 5-6 years ago and it is incredibly fun and satisfying. Not only that, but I even use paper rockets in NAR competition. They make great parachute and streamer duration models (they are lighter than an equivalent rocket made from Estes parts) and I've even used cardstock to build an entire dual egg duration model powered by a D-12 (we lost sight of it at 17 minutes, so no return <sigh>). I also managed to get a 1/8A (micromaxx) helicopter recovery model to work, again made from paper. About the only thing I haven't gotten to work yet are boost gliders (too much wing flutter on boost) but I haven't given up on that one yet either. Paper models are surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding more thrust than most people imagine. And, the fact that I don't have to sand, seal and paint the durned things to get a cool looking model (print the graphics right on it in full color) are a real bonus.

If you've never tried one before, download the Midnight Express from the FlisKits website - the instructions are incredible and it is a fantastic 18mm model that makes a great jumping off point.

Greg