View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Craftsman

Default Never got any answers to this one----

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I worked for a prototyping shop a few years ago prior to retiring. I did a lot of work on CNC routers and a laser engraver. We had a big Epilog Laser that could accept stock up to about 36” in length, 24” in width. I used it to cut centering rings and fins from plywood and balsa. It would easily handle 1/4” material, but I mostly cut plywood up to 1/8” and balsa up to 3/32”. Before I left I cut all kinds of centering rings, both single motor and cluster, in sizes I used most. I’d love to find a small laser for home. Maybe it’s time to do some research into small systems. The big lasers are still very expensive.

Regarding material, they are very versatile. Cardboard or card stock is as easy as balsa or plywood. You just adjust the cutting power and speed. I even cut acrylic. The edges looked like they had been polished. Just amazing. I recall looking at the manual and seeing settings for materials you might not think about, like leather. Very versatile.

I think we have the makings of a small club for "I want a home laser cutter" but I still need some help picking out a machine.

I get more confused than I get educated when I try to read up online about hobby laser cutters. Surely someone out there can step in here and make a few recommendations.

Not trying to derail this thread (I'm reading along on this one too) but I think the subject of laser cutters fits closely in with 3D printers. I still want to find a small cutter for cardboard and balsa CRs. Anybody help?