Thread: Rattlecan Blues
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
I've had that happen with Rustoleum gloss white, but have had good results with other Rustoleum colors.

But I'm generally not happy with all rattle can paint. I'd really like to get into air brushing. I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Learning to use one will be a whole seperate matter.

Well I can agree about the chunky Rustoleum. I happen to like the paint for many of its qualities (especially its lack of sensitivity to humidity), but for the chunk problem. I can't say there's a good solution other than warming and shaking the cans really well before use, and then spraying out a bunch to (hopefully) clear the can of the chunks before applying paint to the item in hand.

Airbrushes are an alternative, but like anything, without careful preparation the results may not necessarily be better. As a rule, I like to use my airbrush for smaller models, and I always strain the paint and insert a wire mesh filter in the paint bottle before spraying; otherwise you get chunks, just smaller ones. And don't forget that airbrushed paint sprays in a much thinner coat (which is a good thing from a weight point of view), and therefore is not as forgiving as a coat sprayed from a rattlecan. It means the attention to surface preparation is a little more critical.

In short, I've not found a foolproof painting method (at least not for this fool); they all seem to have their pros and cons. What separates a great finish from a mediocre one is meticulous surface preparation followed by a patient, practiced, and consistent method, rattlecans and airbrushes notwithstanding.

Photo on the left is with the trusty rattlecan; the one on the right is with the trusty airbrush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rattlecan finish.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  207.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  airbrush finish.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  142.8 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004