View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Thanks Joe! I was a big fan of the DOM /Free Plans. Growing up in Colorado, my first purchases were mail order to Estes. Then my friends and I found a hobby shop in Denver (Tom Thumb Hobbies) that carried everything in the Estes catalog. With plans coming in MRNs and in my orders, I found that I could go to the hobby shop, get all the parts I needed, and build the rockets from the free plans pretty cheap. Of course, kits were also pretty cheap at the time!

One favorite plan (Free Plan #28) was the Augie II. For those unfamiliar, it’s the yellow and black rocket. Featured “thrust augmentation” and what I’ll call “internal CHAD staging”.

Another fun rocket, (not shown in my picture), was the Tiger Shark (Free Plan #22) whose booster glided after staging.

I’ve wanted to upscale both of these for a long time. Maybe a BT-50 based moderately upscaled Tiger Shark. Semroc has an upscale called the Lil Augie (really an Augie II, and nit the L’il Augie shown in Free Plan #10) that is 29mm motor-based. F15 to F15 would be pretty amazing.

The Tiger Shark was always one of my favorites, too. The first one I built back in 68-69 is long gone (the booster glided pretty well, surprisingly), but I have a replacement that's been sitting around waiting for a paint job for 25 years or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TigerShark-2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  413.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TigerShark-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  574.2 KB  
SAM #0031