View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 09:29 PM
frustrated aero

Originally I was just going to print out the K-30 decal, but realized it wouldn't look right since it was for the QTV flight. I thought about converting the wraps George Gassaway posted in the "Tips" TRF posting:

SM
BPC
LES

Then I decided to just scan the decal in my 1/45 kit. I scaled it 45/70 and printed on regular paper and discovered the SM did not fit. I realized that the BT-70 model is not 1:70 scale but 1: (154/2.217) or 1:69.46 scale. I re-printed the decal and the wrap fit great!

Lining the SM decal was tricky for me on the 1/45. Using George's wrap as a guide was a big help. I applied the LES motor decal before gluing it to the tower so all I had to do there was make sure it was on straight. I still managed to get some wrinkles in it, due to the really thin decal coating (Krylon Acrylic Clear as recommended by the decal paper supplier).

Applying the capsule decals on the detailed Apogee capsule was a bit of an eye opener for me, as I now see why the patterns are layed-out as they are. Some are going over thruster openings, another is wrapping around the CM/SM umbilical cover.
Get yer Barrowmans here