View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Earl,

Nicely rounded out - only one codicile. In some instances, as with live auctions, there is the testosterone factor kicking in. "I will not be beat" becomes the motivation as opposed to the relative item value. It is a roll of the die as to whether a 1/100th Saturn 1b goes for $170.00 or $300.00. I will never truly understand that.

Yes, I guess there will always be some strange drivers behind some behaviors. And some of it hard to explain or understand.

A great deal of it though I believe comes down to why anyone pays what some might consider outlandish prices for something be it $125,000 for a mint 60's muscle car (or considerably more); a couple million for an 1804 silver dollar or 1913 Liberty nickel, or rare comic books as mentioned by someone in an earlier post. Some of us would not pay those amounts; some would. It's what one places value on, for whatever reason.

Many would probably not spend everything they have for a stranger to undergo a certain medical procedure. However, make that someone a son, daughter, mother, father then 'what is important' changes drastically and what one is willing to pay changes accordingly. Maybe not a completely fair analogy, but close.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970